Habitat, habitat, have to have a habitat. Explore the types of homes animals live in near water. Walk to a nearby park or natural area, noticing small waterways, puddles, saturated ground created by rain. Collect materials (rocks, sticks, mud, grass) to build aquatic animal habitats. Discuss how animals might use the materials you are finding to create a home.
Inquiry questions to encourage further student investigation
- Where did this water come from?
- Do you think there are animals that visit this water when no people are looking?
- Who might find a drink here?
- Is this a good place for a person to drink?
- How could this water protect an animal?
- What animals could live IN this water?
- What animals could not live in this water but could live near it?